Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My very first blog!

I know. Why has it taken me so long to join the blogging world? Well, I can only say that:

1. It never occurred to me to have a blog, and
2. I'm still not sure I even have the time to blog.

Nevertheless, at the urging of a friend, I've decided to try my hand at blogging, for better or worse.  I suspect the topics will be greatly varied, but for now, I'm going to start off with a fantastic venison recipe that I made the other night for supper, modified from ehow.com. Please note that most of the recipes you'll see on this blog are gluten free and dairy free.  If you have no need to avoid gluten or dairy, feel free to use your usual milk, butter, and flour products instead.

Tender Venison Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
Serves 4

Ingredients
4 venison steaks
1 egg
1 c. rice milk
1 c. breadcrumbs (I throw leftover GF bread cubes into a Vita-Mix blender.)

Gravy Ingredients
2 c. rice milk
2 heaping T. sweet rice flour
2 T. Earth Balance magarine
1 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms
1 T. pepper
1 t. salt

Directions
Steaks: Beat the egg into the milk in a shallow dish that can hold a steak. Put the bread crumbs in a separate shallow dish that a steak can fit in flat.

Place 1 inch of vegetable or safflower oil in a large skillet; heat to medium temperature. Place the steaks (one at a time) in the egg/milk mixture, then in the breadcrumbs, flipping the steak to cover both sides in breadcrumbs. Put the steaks in the pre-heated oil and cook 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Gravy: Melt the margarine in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and add the two cups rice milk, stirring constantly. When starting to thicken, add the salt, pepper, and mushrooms. Reduce the heat to low and stir until mixture reaches a smooth gravy consistency.

Place one steak per plate, cover with gravy, and enjoy! This is a rich meat, so you may want to serve with a steamed vegetable or a green salad rather than potatoes.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I wish I could still eat mushrooms! Congrats on the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Juliana! I did a quick google and discovered that tofu can somewhat substitute for mushrooms. (See http://www.ochef.com/506.htm .) Can you eat tofu? I don't have any personal experience with tofu, so I can't offer a real opinion on whether or not tofu would work in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you have a blog. :) That way it's longer, like a conversation, rather than snippets on fb. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad to see you've started a blog! I hope it's as much fun for you as my blog has been for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete